Book Monday – Top Ten Books of 2008

These are the top ten books I read in 2008 (though they may not have come out in 2008)

10). Holographic Universe by Michael Talbot -- this book inspired a lot of the “physics stuff” in “Reina’s Book” and was originally recommended to me by a co-worker.

9). Vampire Nation by Arlene Russo – another very cool non-fiction book. This book explores the reality of Vampires. I actually got a review’s copy of this and one day i will post a review of it. Really.

8). The Nymphos of Rocky Flats by Mario Acevedo – I laughed my butt off through the entire thing. Acevedo puts a great spin on the hard-boiled detective by making him a hysterical and chauvinistic vampire. (Note: Reading this in an Airport will get you funny looks).

7) Carpe Demon: Adventures of a Demon Hunting Soccer Mom by Julie Kenner – this books was a pleasant surprise. Even though it was a lot lighter than what I usually read, the world she built was interesting and compelling. I’ll probably pick up the next one next time I go on vacation. (Note: church Christmas pageant practice is probably not the best place to read this)

6). Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead -- this entire YA series is amazing. Mead does a great job of adapting the Urban Fantasy genre for teens and after three intelligent, engaging books I’m still wanting.

5) ) Iron Kissed by Patricia Briggs – the sassy VW mechanic Mercy Thompson is back. I really adord this series. This book is darker than the rest but Briggs handles delicate topics with ease and grace. I can’t wait for the next.

4) Ink Exchange by Mellissa Marr – this YA book is a modern fairy tale (like Wicked lovely) and paints a dark and vivid picture. It goes some dark places, but is done extraordinarily well.

3) Jessica’s Guide to Dating on the Darkside by Beth Fantaskey – Okay, so this book doesn’t actually come out until Febuary 2009, but I picked it up at BEA over the summer and all I can say is...wow. Fantaskey takes the Vampire mythos, turns in on its ear and creates a beautiful, funny, and well written YA Vampire love story.

2) Legacy by Jeanne Stein – the latest in the Anna Strong chronicles, I enjoyed this once most of all as Anna really starts to grow into her own. Jeanne Stein is also fabulous in person.

1)The Outlaw Demon Wails by Kim Harrison -- I never cease to be amazed by these books. I think I read this in one sitting, maybe two. Like some series I read this year, I was not disappointed even though we’re now 6 books in.

No comments: