Victorindustrial music and the great character takeover...

Recently I was having dinner with my niece who was visiting from out of state. We were having a nice conversation about steel-boned corsets and steampunk when she asked me if I'd heard of a singer named Emilie Autumn.

I hadn't.

She told me to youtube her.

About a week later I needed some inspiration for my steampunk YA WIP, so I went on youtube and looked her up. Music is a huge inspiration for me (all those years of classical music lessons as a kid, lol), so why not seek out some steampunk music for a steampunk story?

All I can say is Wow.

Emilie Autumn calls her music "Victorindustrial." Basically it's industrial-type music mixed with harpsichord and violin sung by a women with pink hair and a corset. It's steampunk meets Gothic-Lolita at it's finest. The lyrics are soulful, the music haunting, her voice is amazing, and some of the titles are just hysterical (Like "Miss Lucy has some leaches.") Truly I am astounded and fascinated by how incredibly cool she and her music are. It sounds like her stage shows are amazing, too bad she won't be in the US for awhile.

I've become mildly obsessed with the song "Opheliac" ("Shallot" is my niece's fave, and I like "Across the Sky" as well.)

Check this out. The actual song starts around 2:30.



Maybe it's all this great angst that's inspired this latest character takeover. A character who's story was on my "to write list" took over and instead of finishing my YA WIP, I've been vomiting out this character's story instead lol. It's not steampunk, it's not YA either. Maybe I'll post something when I come up for air.

Anyway, happy weekend and happy father's day!

I'm cross posting the music part of this over at Steamed! . Come by and say hello.

No comments: