In which Suzanne goes to the RWA National Conference

So, I just got back from the Romance Writers of America National Conference in Washington DC and I had the best time!

The first night was the literacy signing where we raised $60,000 for charity. I got to meet some online friends. For me it was also a super squee evening as I got to meet some of my favorite authors!

Here's me with YA author Ally Carter

Me with YA author Melissa Marr

Me with Urban Fantasy/YA author Rachel Vincent

Me with Nora Roberts

On Thursday, I laughed (and cried) listening to Janet Evanovitch speak to us about her own writing journey (we are all like jelly donuts and our stories are like reduction sauces). Linda Howard also had us in stitches at lunch (cows are the devils handmaidens). That afternoon at the Pro retreat I heard Candy Havens speak (I'm a member of her writing workshop and she's amazing) and was super excited when three agents told everyone at the pannel that they wanted steampunk! That night was the Fantasy, Futuristic, and Paranormal Chapter's Prism Awards where several of the steampunk lolitas were up for awards. If you want to find out how they did, I blogged about them at Steamed! today.

Me with Leanna at the Prism Awards

Friday was fantastic. There were book signings and pannels including an amazing Urban Fantasy Pannel with Melissa Marr, Rachel Vincent, Jeaniene Frost, and Kelly Armstrong (do your research). Eloisa James had me in tears (it's the emotions that sell books, not the sex).

Saturday featured more book signing and great workshops including one on what we can learn about characters from the TV show Firefly. It was an incredible workshop, too bad it was so early in the morning. That night was the Rita/Gold Heart Awards Ceremony. One of the LARA ladies, Jeannie Lin WON the golden hearts in the historical category for her manuscript Butterfly Swords which has sold! Yay Jeannie! Following was a reception (that did not have enough chocolate) where I got to hang out with more cool ladies. The highlight of the eveing was when i got to hang out with some writers that I really admire who were all very, very cool.

Elizabeth and I at the Ritas

Overall, it was an amazing conference where I learned some great things, met some amazing ladies, got to see some new and old friends, and made good connections.

3 comments:

Sweet Pea said...

I'm so glad that you had such a great and productive time!

And I have to say that you look absolutely STUNNING at both awards programs. Just beautiful.

Congrats on the requests- you have such an incredible body of work and you write so WELL that I was sure you'd have lots of people asking and I was glad to know I was right. :)

Please keep us updated re: responses. *HUGS*

Crazy Cat Lady said...

Looks like you had a great time - thanks for sharing. Just wondering about the three agents at the Pro retreat who are looking for steampunk. Who were they?

Suzanne said...

They were Holly Root, Emmanuelle Alspaugh, and Becca Strumpf.