And I did this because????

This is cross-posted on the Steamed! blog.

The Making of Steampunkapalooza



People have asked me how I came up with “Steampunkapalooza.” I joke that Steampunkapalooza is what happens when an event planner is out of work. Basically, it started out with a simple idea and then took on a life of its own.

When I decided that it would be fun to celebrate “Steamed’s” first birthday as a thank-you to our readers, a month-long blog party was far from what I had in mind. My original idea was that since we had regular bloggers Mon-Wed-Fri that I’d find guests once a week for the month of April as something different. Or, if I got really lucky, twice a week. I never imagined we’d have a different guest nearly every day for an entire month.

I made a list of a few of my favorite Steampunk authors and businesses that I thought might come on and sent out a couple of emails. My first response was a polite “no.” But the second response was a “yes” and had me doing the happy dance. I opened slots up to all the other lolitas and kept making lists of people I thought might be willing to be a part of our party. But I just couldn’t keep up, so I asked Lolita Elizabeth and Lolita Marie-Claude for help in getting guests. They started reaching out to their own contacts and boom, we were suddenly out of Tuesdays and Thursdays. It seemed like the more guests we booked the easier it was to get others. A few people even contacted *me* asking to be part of our event.

We added weekends and started booking guests on “our” days. I even worked up the courage to email some of my “dream” guests and was even more surprised when some of them actually agreed to come on. I also got a little paranoid wondering if we left anyone out and that I’d hurt someone’s feelings. (If I did, I’m sorry, we’d still love to have you on. Email me.)

I’m not quite sure when exactly I coined the term “Steampunkapalooza,” but it fit, since between our guests and the amazing giveaways we were getting it was far cry from “just” a birthday party. As me and the other lolitas joked, somewhere along the way we’d become “the real deal.”

April 1st rolled around and then the party officially started as we kicked off. We got more guests, more blog hits then we’d ever had, lots of new visitors, gave away super cool prizes, and had a ton of fun. I’ll be a little sad to see it all come to an end on April 30th.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s been a lot of work, too. I spend hours every day formatting posts, moderating, emailing back and forth with guests and the other lolitas, and promoting our posts. But it’s also been a fun and incredible experience. I learned a lot along the way about follow up, coordinating, publicity, and how awesome and generous people were. I’m still amazed at our incredible line-up. Really, it belongs on a t-shirt (anyone one to take a crack at designing a concert-style “Steampunkapalooza” shirt with all our guests?) My only wish is that I would have been eligible to win some of our amazing prizes, lol.

Truly, I am amazed and blessed not just by all those who participated, but by all of you, who visited every day, promoted our posts, entered our contests, and just stopped by to say hello. Thank you so much, each and every one of you. I’d also like to put a special “thank you” shout out to all our super guests and to the rest of the lolitas, especially Lolita Elizabeth and Lolita Marie-Claude. There would be no Steampunkapalooza without you.

As much fun as we’ve had getting to know all our great guests, ultimately we did this for you, our fans, as a “thank you” for being with us this past year. I hope all of you, both our longtime followers and those new to the blog, had a great time and will continue to visit us even after Steampunkapalooza comes to an end. Lolita Elizabeth, Lolita Marie-Claude, and I will be back to our regular blogging days, with the other lolitas chiming in, as usual. We’ll be introducing two new lolitas. We’ll also be introducing “guest Thursdays” where we hope to bring you a visiting Lolita or special guest each week.

We’re looking for guests right now, if you have a suggestion, or are interested in visiting us on a guest Thursday, please contact me at suzannelazear (@) hotmail with either “Steamed! Guest request” or “Steamed! Guest suggestion” in the title. Guests should either be Steampunk writers/musicians/artists/craftpersons/etc or be willing to do a Steampunk-themed post (those who might not be a Steampunk writer/artist/etc but love Steampunk). If in doubt, email me anyway, maybe we can work something out. Giveaways are always welcome but not required.

Thanks again for helping to make Steampunkapalooza 2010 a smashing success. Will there be a Steampunkapalooza 2011? You bet there will.

No comments: