The things that keep me up at night

Everyone has things that occasionally keep them up at night -- work, family, money, the car.

I have other problems.

Lately, it's involved explosions, Vampires, and katanas. More specifically, how not to actually blow up the Vampire, but lose the katana, and tie up all the loose ends of the story in the process. Then, of course, I have to figure out what *kind* of explosion...

Yeah, not quite an ordinary worry.

But then, I've never claimed to be normal.

My imagination operates on hyperdrive--and I mean warp speed ahead. I'm always pondering something, from the dating habits of dragons to the perfect name for a character.

Because of the things I write, sometimes the questions I come up with are beyond bizarre, like why garden faeries would be stealing cell phone batteries or what a time machine looks like.

Occasionally, they're also questions that I need to answer urgently because of where I am in a story--like how would a hovercop pull over a flying car. These questions can quite literally keep me up at night because I can't continue writing (or editing) until I answer that question. it's not as if these questions are easily googleable either.

Yes, I confess, I am an incurable pantser and like it.

Sometimes, a question isn't imperative, but it's still bugging me--like what would be the arch-nemesis of Mountain Lion shapeshifters?

Often I'll work over an idea while commuting (caution, I plot and drive). I also occasionally bounce ideas off people, like my the hubby or the Gurlz, or some writing friends in the "water cooler."

The tot is also an incredible source of adorably bizarre ideas (like, in her world, a dragon and a vampire will explode when they kiss).

Chocolate also helps. Especially chocolate-covered toffee. Oooh, and those butter cookies with the slabs of chocolate on them.

So, have I figured out my explosion?

Well, not entirely. But it always works out in the end. That's why, for me, pantsing is so much fun.

Meanwhile, I'm off to Trader Joe's to buy another container of Dark Chocolate Roasted Pistachio Toffee for extra inspiration.

How do you find answers to your unusual questions?

6 comments:

Bart said...

There is nothing ugoogleable!

Beth Caudill said...

I google everything I could possibly think up related. And if I can't find it...I make it up.

Lisa Kessler said...

Believe it or not, I have gotten the best ideas for my current book while contorting myself in Hot Yoga class!!! LOL

So while I'm sweltering and miserable, instead of keeling over and dying, my brain has been coming up with some really fun twists I never saw coming!!! :)

Good luck with your explosion!!! I have no doubt it'll be fabulous! :)

Lisa

Suzanne said...

@ Bart, true, but sometimes the results are less than desirable

@ Beth, that's a good plan

@ Lisa, there you go with the hot yoga, lol. I'm so glad it works for you. For now, I'll stick to chocolate.

WriteOnARiver said...

Regarding the shape shifter Mountain Lion, the werewolf would still be a fine competitor but for a box of toffee chocolate, I'll let your borrow my educated Grizzly :-0
Doree

Suzanne Lazear said...

Doree, sounds good to me :)