You are what you tweet?

So, this has been one of those weeks where life decided to smack me in the head. But, this too shall pass.

I did a post over at Steamed! on Writing Steampunk Archetypes over at Steamed. Toady we're talking to Steamypunk Author Bonnie Dee.

I will be teaching an online class on writing for teens Feb 14-March 12, 2011 for the OCC RWA. More info here. If you want to write YA or are writing one and need a little help, I'd love for you to join us. It's open to everyone, not just RWA members.

The epicly awesomesauce Kiersten White did a fab post today on the crazy things writers tweet.

That got me thinking. I don't tweet about not showering or working in my pajamas (the day job frowns on that, you know.)

But what do I tweet about and if someone knew me solely from my tweets what might they think?

Hmmm...

1) I solely subsist off of cupcakes, cookies, and chocolate (not true. I tweet about wanting cupcakes far more than I actually get to eat them)
2) I am sleep deprived (true)
3) I like pillowpets (My tot likes them, I don't understand them)
4) I write (true)
5) I like Steampunk. A lot. (true)

All in all it's not that bad, really. (I think, lol.)

But we do have to think about what we tweet and how we are perceived through those 140-character sound bites. It goes beyond the obvious "tweetiquette" and crosses over into how we wish to be perceived. Twitter, like all electronic mediums, lacks those extra cues we get in person-to-person contact that lets people know who we really are (and whether or not we're joking.)

I'm not talking about misrepresenting yourself, I'm talking about not accidentally misrepresenting yourself. We don't want to do that, and sometimes that can happen, easily.

So, if you are what you tweet, what are you?

3 comments:

Lisa Kessler said...

Hmmm... I have no idea who I am in tweets! LOL

I'm pretty sure most people think I'm magical and can *poof* off of the internet...

Which of course is true! LOL

At least I wish it was! :)

Interesting post to ponder Suzi!

Good luck with your class!!! I hope it's a big success for you!!!

Lisa :)

Suzanne Lazear said...

Lisa, you mean you *can't* actually go poof? ~gasps~

Thanks for the well-wishes on the class. Since my steampunk one sold out I'm feeling a little self-inflicted pressure, lol.

Nicole said...

According to everybody else I'm a #MasterPimp...

... I have no idea what that says about me. o.O