Recipie: The Tired Mommy Dinner #1 -- "noodles with stuff"

I got several tweets yesterday asking what in the world "the tired mommy dinner" was.  Really, every busy mom needs an arsenal of easy, quick dinners you can make when you're so tired you'd rather nap than eat. 

I'll start featuring them, if you like. 

Here's the one I made the other night:

Noodles With Stuff

This one is designed to use whatever you have handy, you can use whatever meat and sauce you have handy -- fish and chicken will go well with white sauce, beef and chicken with red sauce, etc.  You don't even need to add meat, add whatever veggies you want (fresh or frozen) for a yummy vegetarian dinner. 

Ingredients:
Note:  I made this for three, adjust accordingly

Noodles (I used 1/3 of a box of angel hair pasta)
Veggies (I used about a cup of tiny, uncooked broccoli florets, use as much veggies as you think you can get everyone to eat)
Meat (I used 1/2 lb cooked shrimp)
Sauce (I used 1/2 c. prepared Alfredo sauce)

Directions:

Boil water for noodles.  Since the angel hair pasta only needs 4 min to cook, I dump the uncooked broccoli florets in with the water, I've cut them so they're tiny and cook faster. 

When the water boils I add the noodles and the shrimp (which is cooked, I just need to warm it up).

While it's boiling I put some garlic toast in the toaster oven.  You can also put some lettuce in a bowl for a salad.

When the noodles done, I drain the whole mixture, the put it back in the pot and toss it with just enough sauce to coat everything.  Sprinkle the top with Parmesan cheese if you'd like.



Serve with toast and salad. 

Prep time:  virtually none, unless you need to cook meat ahead of time or cut veggies

Cook time:  varies depending on how long the noodles need to cook, but under 20 min. 

Serving notes:  You can also make the noodles with veggies and sauce as a side dish and serve it underneath a chicken breast, piece of fish, etc. 

So, what's your favorite "tired mommy dinner"?  Please share, I love new cooking ideas. 

6 comments:

Linda G. said...

That sounds yummy!

My "tired writer" recipes (my kids are old enough to cook for themselves) consist of phone numbers to the pizza place and the Chinese place. ;)

Christine said...

I have two. My noodle dish is spaghetti, with butter parmesean and a sprinkling of fresh black pepper. Add a prepackaged salad and you're good to go!

My second is just as easy - chicken thighs, bone in - mix 2 Tlb of grey poupon mustard and 2 Tlb of olive oil together until smooth. Brush chicken thighs with this mix. put in a roasting pan with a rack underneath (keeps them out of the grease) and coat chicken with grated parmesean cheese. Bake in 375 oven until done, about 45 minutes.

Catherine Stine said...

mac 'n cheese or sauteed veggies.

Beverly Stowe McClure said...

Thanks for the recipe. Will have to try it.

My easy meal is to pop a bag of veggies in the microwave and steam them and chicken tenders with barbecue sauce or Italian dressing. Maybe a salad.

Very simple.

Dawn Brazil said...

LOL, I can relate to the tired Mommy b/c I am her. Spaghetti with red sauce can be prepared in my house in about 15 minutes. Also, precooked chicken breast strips with salad - toss in some dried cranberries, nuts and dressing and the fam has a gourmet salad. I'm always thinking quick but nutritous. Thanks for your tips. I'll have to come back to see more.

I've also given you the Stylish Blogger Award at my site @ http://dawnbrazil.blogspot.com

suzanne said...

I love all the great recipies! Thanks!