How I Accidentally Wrote A Book

NaNoWriMo starts tomorrow. Good luck to all you participating. Stay tuned for a special NaNoWriMo contest. I'm going to be working on the sequel to Innocent Darkness, I'm also teaching an online class on Steampunk--so this will be a busy month.

Happy Halloween! Anyone doing anything fun?



Over the summer I was in edits on two projects. Literally I edited non-stop from May to September. Brutal.

All that editing can sap the muse.

I didn't mean to write an entire manuscript, after all, I was editing. It really happened quite innocently.

I had a small break between edits, and my agent had suggested I try re-writing an adult project as a YA. I tried writing a few chapters. It just didn't work--for my story. However, I adored the world and story I had created.

So, over the next few months when I got burned out editing, I'd take a day and work on this side project, which I'd "filed the serial numbers" off of and created a whole new story, with new characters. A chapter here, a scene there, this was my stress relief, for personal amusement story. I'd just use it for a little day-long break when I really needed it, then get right back to editing.

About a week ago, I wrote "the end" on the story I'd completely pantsed, written scene-by scene, over four months while editing.

Yes, I accidentally wrote a book.

This was not a story I'd ever set off to write, it never was on my TBW (to-be-written) list. Certainly, I didn't expect to finish it.

I don't know if it's any good. Since I had so much fun writing it, I am convinced no one else will find it interesting.

But that's okay. I didn't write this for publication, I wrote this to stay sane during edits. I remembered how much fun writing was and that it's more than deadlines, edits, and promotion.

The moral to the story is that if you work a little at a time and keep up at it, you will finish something. So, keep it up.

Writing is fun--and if you keep chipping at that story, you'll find yourself writing the two best words "the end" -- even if you didn't mean to write it in the first place.

5 comments:

Irene said...

Wise words!
This will be my first NaNoWriMo :) Very excited!

Melissa Sarno said...

What a great story. Sometimes it's the no pressure projects that take on lives of their own...

Julianne said...

I'm doing just this currently, Suzanne. :) Good to hear yours worked out so well! Good luck with it.*hugs*
Julianne

ladonna watkins said...

This will be my first Nano. Thanks for sharing.

Suzanne Lazear said...

@ Irene -- yay! Good luck. There's nothign quite like that NaNo energy!

@Melissa -- exactly!

@Julianna -- everyone has their own process, you have to find what works for you and work it!

@Ladonna -- good luck!