Here's the discussion post for the prologue - Chapter Three. One lucky commentor will win a book from my stash of awesome. You can talk about whatever you like in regard to the prologue-Chapter 3. Just a few rules:
1) Play nice
2) No spoilers from chapters beyond the ones we're talking about. (I'll put up 4-6 tomorrow)
A few questions to get you started:
Would you want a flying car like Noli's?
What was your favorite part?
Why do you think I used the poems I did before the prologue and chapter 1?
You can also talk about it on twitter -- #idreadalong
Here's a (awkward) video of me sharing some behind-the-scenes info on the opening chapters, like how the book got it's name, what Noli's car looks like, and more.
A few trivia bits about the book:
- The scene between Noli, V, and the hovercop? I had an actual police officer help me with the scene.
- The tree in Noli's backyard is based on a real tree, the tree where I got the idea for the book. It does have a trunk curved like a "j" from where it was struck by lightning. However, it's a mulberry, not an oak and has no tree house.
- V's medallion design is based on the Celtic tree of life
- The cookies Noli and her mom are eating are based on actual cookies I buy at Trader Joes. I at *a lot* of them while writing this book. Also, Sour Patch Kids.
- Aether was considered the fifth element by the Greeks and appeared in early physics and alchemical theories
- My first car was called "The Big Bad Pixymobile." It was a powder blue Buick Estate Wagon, older than I was, and I bought it for $20 (yes, it worked).
Happy discussing. I'll post the next bit on Thursday. Remember, no spoilers beyond chapter 3, play nice, and one lucky commentor wins a prize (open internationally, contest ends at Sunday, July 7.)