How many books are in your series...

I've been seeing a lot of references to the Aether Chronicles as a trilogy. The first time I saw this, I blinked.

Three books is very common in YA. Also, Flux has bought three books and I'm grateful for them giving me and my crazy mashup a chance. So, I guess I can see how people could think that it's a trilogy.

However, I've always had more in mind for V, Noli, and Kevighn. Originally, before I ever sold this and was writing it for fun as my NaNoWriMo book wayyyy back in 2009, I had this planned out as a six book series. That has shrunk as things have changed. The original book 2 was never written. The plot I'd envisioned for Charmed Vengeance was originally much different, which then changed the arc of the entire series--as did a startling confession by a character who told me that their love interest was very different from who I planned it to be.

Had I planned this out as a trilogy or a duology in the beginning, I would have done things differently. (I also wish I knew as much about Steampunk as I do now, but that's a post for another day.) But I was a newbie writer with dreams of an epic fantasy series, the kind I grew up reading.

I answer a lot of questions in book 3, but there's something that doesn't happen. Literally, I didn't have enough words. Book 3 is over-long as it is. There's loads of good stuff. Really. I promise. But I also don't want people to hate on it when it's not quite what they expected.

Hopefully, the next Noli book will be my NaNo project this year, since the other 3 books were either NaNo or Camp NaNo books. I think I will be happy to end Noli, V, and Kevighn's tale there. (However, I would like to write some novellas. I know many of you want to know more about Charlotte and James. A Jeff and Vix novella has been suggested as well, so has one about Kevighn's sister. And, well, I have this idea...)

Where I hope I'll sell book 4 at some point, I may also end up writing it for my own amusement. But I will write it. I want to end the story the way I think it should be wrapped up. Hopefully, I can figure out what that is. I'm diving into new waters here, since everything has changed so much from when I'd first crafted the series arc in my head in 2009. But, isn't that half the fun?

Anyone up for a NaNoWriMo write-along?

No comments: